- Positive Women’s Network (PWN) is incorporated. PWN provides education, support, and resources for women living with HIV in BC and for service providers in health and social services across the country. LINK
- Vancouver Native Health Society is formed. There mission is to improve and promote the health of individuals with a focus on the Aboriginal community residing in Greater Vancouver. LINK
- Helmcken House opened, offering a total of 32 one bedroom and bachelor apartments for people living with HIV/AIDS. The location of these units ensured ease of access to St. Paul’s Hospital, medical specialists and the Pacific AIDS Resource Centre. LINK
- AIDS Vancouver has 681 clients.
- 1,000 people attend Vancouver’s AIDS Candlelight Memorial.
- 704 reports of new HIV cases in BC. LINK
- 10 million people living with HIV/AIDS globally. LINK
- 7,987 Helpline calls are received by AIDS Vancouver.
- Magic Johnson publicly announces he is HIV positive. LINK
- Queen lead singer, Freddie Mercury, dies from AIDS. LINK
- The Red Ribbon becomes the international symbol for HIV –introduced at the Tony Awards by 'Broadway Cares' in the US. LINK
- The Kaiser Family Foundation re-launches itself and begins partnering with HIV organizations globally. LINK